Pier A was originally constructed in 1886 and comprises a three-story building of about 38,725 gross square feet and an adjacent promenade. It was designated a New York City landmark and placed on the National Register of Historic Places in the late 1970s. It has been vacant since 1992 and its physical condition severely deteriorated above and under water.
Phase 1 of the restoration comprised non-structural interior demolition which was completed in December 2009. The second phase, replacement of the existing pier deck, was substantially completed in October 2010. The last phase, which began in August 2010, consists of core and shell restoration. As work proceeded, the vast nature of rot and deterioration came into fuller focus, as did the need for more extensive remediation. The impact of hurricane sandy set back the completion of the core and shell restoration. It is projected for the summer of 2013.
Following the restoration, Pier A Battery Park Associates LLC, a joint venture between the Poulakakos family and the Dermot Company, will fill out the structure. A beer garden and casual dining concept is planned for the first floor; a restaurant and event space for the second, and a live entertainment and bar venue for the third. Promenade access, open and free to the public, is integral to the plan.